Thursday, August 19, 2010

Since Bigu

So I apologize for the obnoxious length of my last post, but believe it or not that is only about a 20th of all of the things that I could tell you about my time at Bigu. I promise to make this one nice and short!

Since being back in Kathmandu, I've returned to the old swing of things - going to the 4 homes that Nepal Orphans Home runs in the city, helping out with homework and just playing and hanging out. On top of this I have also been going to Bal Mandir during the day while the other children are at school. Bal Mandir is a massive orphanage for infants up to children of kindergarten age. I have been working in the baby room, there are 23 babies total 5 boys and 18 girls. Although conditions are pretty bleak the babies are almost always smiling. They are so precious and adorable and I deeply love everyone already. My duties are simply to feed, change diapers, and play with the babies and it is such a great time! However it is extremely heartbreaking as well not only becuase they are orphaned (or in most of the girls cases, abandoned) in a third world country but becuase I've also seen some very sad things. All of the babies have at least mild bruising and most have many deep bruises in places that would be very hard to get from an accident. I have also seen some of the didis and even the doctor that comes in every once in awhile be pretty rough the babies and I just don't know what to do. I'm always shocked and heart broken. I know that there is also a very large cultural difference in the way we think of babies and the frailness and how they should be treated - but even so, no baby should ever have to suffer from the bruising that I've seen. I wish there was something that I could do.

It is Hilary's last day today (the one that I've done everything with since arriving in Nepal) so I'm very sad. It won't be the same here without her! As for the rest of my time here, I will be heading to Pokhra on Sunday with the other volunteer named Kayla and the volunteer coordinator Lexi. I'll be checking out a boys home and spending some time with them while also fitting in a little sight seeing. Then me and Lexi will head back to Kathmandu early Tuesday and I'll be on my way back to the states on Wednesday! I can't believe that I only have a few days left, I feel like I just got here but I've been here forever all at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. bring those babies home to me immediatly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding Bruises
    All of the babies have at least mild bruising and most have many deep bruises in places that would be very hard to get from an accident.

    I wonder if the bruises were "Mongolian spots" or if you believe they were truly bruises.
    see
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/Mongolian+blue+spots
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_spot

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very good point. My Nepali son had some minor mongolian spoting on his backside and buttocks as did my oldest daughter from China. We had a daycare worker ask about it when she was small and had her dr. write a note explaining that is was not bruising, it was mongolian spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PAC BAL MANDIR (NTV):

    Aug 01 2011 - Public accounts committee of legislative Parliament has ordered Nepal children's organization to give public land on lease only after forming a necessary guideline and working procedure. Officials of Nepal children's Organization told the committee that the organsiation is looking after the orphans and children from the monthly rent of the land. The organization was questioned over the allegation that the organsiation is randomly leasing land in its name in the capital and other places. The organization is feeding some 6 hundred children across the country and it raises about 10.5 million rupees as rent against the land lease. The committee was told that several of the earlier contracts were dissolved following the directives of the commission for the investigation of abuse of authority-CIAA.

    http://ntv.org.np/index.php?option=com_news&view=news&Itemid=16&limitstart=10


    PAC directs NCO not to lease land based on verbal contract (Nepalnews)

    Monday, 01 August 2011

    The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of the legislature parliament has directed Nepal Children's Organisation (NCO) to stop leasing its lands in various places in Kathmandu valley based on verbal contract only and follow the government prescribed procedure for the leasing.

    PAC concluded at a meeting on Sunday that there was huge difference in the rent of the land plots leased out on competition and those without competition.

    It was found that the organisation had been receiving a rent of Rs 430 thousands per Ropani per annum on land leased out through tender process, while it had been receiving only Rs 141 thousands to 384 thousands from land plots leased without completion.

    NCO has been leasing out 57 Ropanis (about 3 hectares) of land in various prime locations in the capital. Out of 57 Ropanis of land a little more than 9 Ropanis in Naxal has been leased to the education ministry without contract and without any rent.

    PAC has directed the NCO to lease out land only through competition and also take rent from the education ministry for the use of land in Naxal.

    http://www.nepalnews.com/home/index.php/news/19/12128-pac-directs-nco-not-to-lease-land-based-on-verbal-contract.html


    See also:

    Children's Organisation asked to systematise property leasing (Kathmandu Post):

    http://www.ekantipur.com/the-kathmandu-post/2011/07/31/metro/childrens-organisation-asked-to-systematise-property-leasing/224641.html


    PAC directs not to lease NCO property (eKantipur):

    http://www.ekantipur.com/2011/07/31/business/pac-directs-not-to-lease-nco-property/338320.html

    ReplyDelete